Last week, I turned twenty-five with little fanfare—of my own choosing. When it comes to birthdays, I’m basically Ron Swanson.
So, as per usual, I kept quiet that my birthday was coming up. But turning twenty-five is, I suppose, a milestone birthday. Yay, I can rent cars now. I tried to think of what I could do to make my twenty-fifth year special. Then I realized an obvious solution: I would reread twenty-five books that affected me in some way or another.
For the past couple of years, I’ve been wanting to reread a lot of books. Specifically reread some of my favorite series. Like Harry Potter, Little House, Among the Hidden, etc. But with my Goodreads challenges, I wasn’t counting rereads. And neither was Goodreads (until this year!).
Once I decided that I wanted to reread some of my favorites, I took that into account when setting up my Goodreads Challenge; hence only saying thirty new books instead of seventy like I originally planned. Then I sat down and wrote a list of books that stood above the other books I’ve read in my twenty-plus years of reading. It was tough to narrow down the list to twenty-five, considering Harry Potter and Little House took up fifteen spots.
But I did it. So for the next year (February 2017 to February 2018), I will revisiting twenty-five books from my years of reading and writing up a short (most likely long) reaction piece for each book.
Bring on the nostalgia.
25 Years and 25 Books
The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Little House in the Big Woods
- Little House on the Prairie
- On the Banks of Plum Creek
- By the Shores of Silver Lake
- The Long Winter
- Little Town on the Prairie
- These Happy Golden Years
- The First Four Years
The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce
- Alanna: the First Adventure
- In the Hand of the Goddess
- The Woman Who Rides Like a Man
- Lioness Rampant
- Fever 1793 by Louise Halse Anderson
- Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England 1544 by Kathryn Lasky
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- A Novel Idea by Aimee Friedman
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut